You now have a shorter attention span than a goldfish. You read that correctly. The average human attention span is now 8 seconds. A goldfish has an attention span of 9 seconds. With our decreasing attention spans, it’s becoming harder and harder to capture our audience’s attention online. So what’s the best way to capture attention and engagement online?
Online VideoAnd since you have an above average attention span and have spent more than 8 seconds reading this post, I’m going to tell you how to create your first engaging video for digital marketing.
Online Video for Small Business52% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with best ROI. Still not convinced that online video is the best play for your small business? Video leads to 100% longer average time on site.
100%!That means you essentially get twice as long to convince your visitors to take action.
So how do you make your first online video?Making a quality video for your small business is still hard. That’s why not many people do it. But each day it’s becoming easier to create an engaging video. Let’s break down the process into 4 easy to follow steps.
1. ScriptYou don’t have to be Quentin Tarantino to write an engaging business video script.
- Use Google Docs so team can collaborate with your team. Make sure the script is no more than 1 page in Google docs (2-3 minutes max).
- Break script up into 1-2 sentence chunks (much easier to memorize)
- Keep script conversational by avoiding business jargon and buzzwords.
- The script doesn’t have to be word for word. Leave some room for improvisation. My favourite comedy of all time, Curb Your Enthusiasm, only uses a loose script outline for each episode. 80% of the dialogue is improvised, with each scene having the ability to play out in unpredictable ways. While we may not have the same comedic wit or timing as Larry David, you will surprise yourself with the quality you deliver with when the lights are shining on you.
- Always rehearse before you record and complete a table read with other team members who will feature in the video