Have you ever wondered how to use Instagram to grow your podcast? New podcasters and pros all know that growing a podcast specific audience and getting more listeners has its challenges.
From finding the right listeners, picking a topic that isn’t too broad or niche, it’s all a lot of work.
It can also be expensive, attempting to reach and convert those listeners to your podcast. The money could better spend that money on your actual product or service, rather than the podcast.
In this article, we’ll look at how to use Instagram Reels and three other cost-effective tactics to grow your podcast. By the end of this, you should implement at least one tactic to show a return on investment (ROI) when you hit publish on your next episode.
Interact with as many interested people (in real life and online)
Time it takes: 1-2 hours
This is a no brainer, but not everyone is an extrovert. And even if you are an extrovert, you might not have the confidence to push your latest podcast episode continually. That’s okay because your podcast shouldn’t be for everyone. It’s usually for leads and potential customers. Your podcast is for whoever you’ve set your target audience to. If someone falls into that category, make sure you get their email or LinkedIn and put them in a database of sorts. This will allow you to craft up a particular message to them on why an episode (or your whole podcast) could help them with their problems.
Things to know:
- Requires micro engagements and interactions
- Engagement will be of varying lengths each day and week
- You will develop a system in a short time that can help you batch and scale a lot of things
Use Instagram Reels (or TikTok) for your promotional Audiograms
Time it takes: 10-15mins
Instagram Reels is the main competitor to the super-fast growing TikTok. The demographic is 25-34 and most business people. TikTok is 16-24 and usually non-business-oriented people. IG Reels is new, and the organic reach is similar to Myspace/Facebook reach from the late 2000s. It’s a great way of reaching your existing audience while finding new followers and an audience. IG Reels and TikTok are made to be entertaining. Make sure to bring the most informative/fun/amusing/interesting things from your podcast to your potential audience.
Things to know:
- Find the most exciting and engaging 15-30 sec spot for one or two audiograms you’ve created.
Make it super easy for your guests to promote the episode
Time it takes: 15 mins
Your guests are free promoters and marketers (unless you paid them). They want to tell their audience they were on a podcast that made them sound like an expert. Why not make it as easy as possible for them? Make sure you have a link to your most important assets. Things like episode artwork – here’s our podcast artwork for the Forward Thinking Podcast.
Don’t forget to:
- include a 30-60 sec audiogram video (1:1 format)
- use a website Link (For direct listening)
- adjust your social media copy (so it speaks in the first person about the guest talking to their audience)
- add Apple, Spotify, Google, Amazon and Stitcher links (They will most likely use one)
- upload a transcript of the podcast episode
- create easily shareable social media artwork (check out our Metigy example below)
Time it takes: 1 hour
If you have a podcast, you should have a podcast trailer. The trailer is a 1-2 minute episode that sums up your series. Like a movie trailer, the goal is to give enough information to listen more, but not give away too much. If you’ve taken the time to make one why not swap with another podcaster with similar listeners to yours. You can give them a top and tail on yours that talks directly to the podcast and why they should listen. Then at the end, provide a CTA with a unique link.
Things to know:
- Create the trailer (done before you release your first episode) – 0 min
- Record top & tail to the episode so that other podcasts can insert then on their episode – 15 min
- Before you record sending back and forth emails with other podcasters – 15 min
- Inserting other podcast host trailer onto the end of your next episodes 15 min
You are now ready to grow your podcast
Interact with as many people as possible, use social media for promotions, make it easy for your guests to promote the episode and work with other podcasts. This is a proven formula that we have seen work time and time again for multiple podcasts. Which tactic are you going to try first for your podcast? We’d love to hear in the comments below.
And if you are after some podcast inspiration, check out our award-winning marketing podcast: Forward Thinking.
Start posting to your Instagram feed today with a free trial of Metigy’s social media scheduling calendar and management tool – click here to try it for free.
Already a Metigy user? Log in and explore Instagram Content Publishing today.